Atlanta Slip and Fall Lawyer
Many people assume that when they slip and fall, they are the only ones to blame based on their own clumsiness. While this may certainly be the truth in some situations, most often, Atlanta slip and fall accident victims have the right to recover compensation for their injuries by filing a lawsuit with a dedicated Atlanta slip and fall attorney.
Slip and Fall Accidents and Injuries
While slip and falls are some of the most common accidents, they are also some of the most preventable, the most painful, and often the most destructive. Slip and fall accidents usually occur because of:
- Wet, slippery, or slick surfaces;
- Uneven walking surfaces, e.g. gravel, torn carpet, or unstable walkways;
- Objects and debris in walking areas; and
- Poorly maintained or broken stairs, elevators, escalators, and handrails.
Sometimes, situations may occur because of acts of nature – such as rain or ice that creates slippery walking surfaces – or because of an error – such as spilling a glass of water and failing to clean it up. Regardless of the reason, you should contact a slip and fall lawyer, while slip and fall accidents can result in serious injuries, including:
- Broken bones. Broken bones are common in a slip and fall. The hip is a common area for a fracture to occur, as many people land directly on the hip. The wrist, elbow, and clavicle are also common fracture sites, as fractures here usually occur when a person extends their arm for stabilization, resulting in the arm taking the force of the fall.
- Head and brain injuries. In the worst of cases, a person may not land on their hip or their arm, but instead hit their head on the ground, or on an object on the way to the ground. The result can be a serious head or brain injury, ranging from contusions to a concussion. Anytime the head is impacted, a slip and fall victim should seek medical care, even if the injury does not initially appear to be serious.
- Back and spine injuries. A muscle, tendon, or ligament in the back may become strained or sprained during a slip and fall – many people complain of back pain after this accident type. In some cases, the back may be so significantly impacted that a fracture of a vertebrae in the spinal column occurs. In the worst of cases, the spinal cord may be impacted, resulting in partial or complete paralysis.
In addition to the above injury categories, a person may sustain internal injuries, cuts and bruises, soft tissues injuries, and even psychological injuries in a slip and fall accident.
Premises Liability – Who Is Responsible for My Injuries?
After a slip and fall accident where you sustain injuries, you surely want to know who is responsible for your losses and who should be held liable. Premises liability law stipulates that the owner of a property has a duty to maintain that property in a safe condition – when the property owner fails to do so, and an individual suffers a slip and fall (or other accident type) and sustains an injury, the property owner may be held liable for damages. Here is what you need to prove to recover damages per the theory of premises liability:
- The property owner owed you a duty of care. In most cases, this duty is implied. If you were trespassing at the time of your slip and fall accident, it is possible that the property owner did not owe you a duty of care, and therefore cannot be held liable for your injuries. If you were on the property legally, however, then the property owner had a duty to keep their property reasonably free from hazards.
- The property owner neglected their duty of care. You must prove that a hazard existed on the property that the owner failed to correct in a reasonable amount of time – such as a large spill, ice, or cords in walking areas (all of which create a slip or trip hazard).
- The hazard was the cause of your slip and fall and injuries. In order to actually hold the property owner liable, you will have to prove that the hazardous condition was the direct cause of your slip and fall accident. Further, you will need to prove that you suffered actual damages, such as injuries, medical bills, loss of income, disability, etc.
Why You Should Work with the Law Offices of Andrew E. Goldner, Your Dedicated Slip and Fall Attorney
In order to improve the chances of your slip and fall claim being successful, you should work with the experienced Slip and Fall Attorneys at the Law Offices of Andrew E. Goldner. We have experience handling numerous slip and fall and trip and fall cases, which have causes broken bones, spine injury, and brain injury. Andrew E. Goldner, your Atlanta slip and fall attorney, has served as lead counsel in more than 70 personal injury cases which have resulted in monetary recoveries exceeding six or seven figures. If you want to get the money you deserve for your losses, you need a talented and aggressive slip and fall lawyer on your side. For a free case consultation, contact our law offices today.