What Are My Rights and Responsibilities After a Car Accident?
After a car accident, you have a number of rights and responsibilities. Your responsibilities include:
- The responsibility to seek medical care for your injuries;
- The responsibility to report the car accident to the police; and,
- The responsibility to report the car accident to your insurance company.
All three of these things are very important; if you do not do them, you may jeopardize your chances of recovering compensation. Your rights include:
- The right to refrain from giving your insurance company a recorded statement;
- The right to seek damages by filing a car insurance claim or a car accident lawsuit; and
- Your right to reject a first settlement offer and negotiate for a higher amount.
You also have the right to work with a competent Atlanta personal injury attorney who can guide you through the claims process and advocate for you every step of the way.